By Bridgette Hall
Aquaponics Association Intern
Hawaii is a beautiful place and has an amazing environment for someone interested in doing aquaponics outdoors.
Vernon Byrd gave the Aquaponics Association Conference a virtual tour of Aquaponics at the University of the Nations, Kona, Hawaii. This presentation was filled with very beautiful images of aquaponic systems out in Kona, Hawaii.
At the University of the Nations they have the acronym LETS, which stands for Life Empowering Technology and Science. They apply this acronym to food, energy, and water/sanitation. The University has their aquaponics located in their “Natural Farm” . At the farm they are mission focused, they are testing and training, having low costs, and using natural methods to grow on the farm. Aquaponics checks every one of those requirements for the farm.
The original aquaponics system at the university were four DWC’s and two fish tanks in sheds. They now have many other systems including NFT and some aeroponic systems. They provide training for those who are interested in aquaponics. They are using tilapia and growing lots of leafy crops and vegetables with their system. The University of the Nations in Kona, Hawaii, has a beautiful farm and is teaching new people everyday about the beauty of Aquaponics.
Do you want to join the Aquaponics Association and help promote Aquaponics!
The Aquaponics Association is a nonprofit that cultivates aquaponics through education, advocacy, and connection. Please consider a General Membership to support this cause.
Benefits of Membership include:
- Regular newsletters
- Access to Aquaponics Association Members Forum with chat groups and direct messages
- Ability to participate in working groups to move aquaponics forward: 1) Commercial Aquaponics; 2) Community Aquaponics; 3) Aquaponics in STEM Education; and 4) Aquaponics Research
- Exclusive web content like checklists, best practices, conference presentations and full conference videos from top experts
- Legislative & Regulatory Updates
- Special Member Discounts
Membership fees also support:
- Development and promotion of materials to educate the public about the benefits and opportunities of aquaponics!
- Development of industry standards and best practices
- Infrastructure to connect aquaponic growers from around the world
- Strategic partnerships to expand aquaponics into new fields
- Ability to speak with one voice to policy-makers and regulators on issues like Organic certification, food safety certification, and agriculture policy
- Resources to improve aquaponic growers’ skills, growing capacity, and business opportunities
- Resources to cultivate and develop aquaponics as an emerging green industry
Learn more: General Membership