September 21, 2020
For Immediate Release
The Aquaponics Association has published a Statement regarding White House Executive Order 13921, Promoting American Seafood Competitiveness and Economic Growth.
Read the Full Statement: Aquaponics Association Aquaculture Statement, September 2020
The Executive Order’s attention to the amplification and development of U.S. aquaculture addresses the important goal of increasing the supply of domestic fish in our diets. However, the Executive Order’s method of achieving this goal risks severe negative consequences.
We do not support the de-regulation of off-shore fishing proposed as a means to boost production. Prioritizing short-term gains over meaningful, long-term viability of aquaculture is contrary to the spirit of the industry aquaculturists have worked so hard to build. Past implementations of largely unmitigated off-shore aquaculture are well correlated with the detriment of the overall fishing supply and environmental health of our waters.
Recirculating, Inland, and Aquaponic culture arose, in many cases, from our desire to conduct aquaculture in both an environmentally and financially sustainable manner.
We propose the following actions to expand domestic fish production in a safe, sustainable manner:
- Recognize Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS), Freshwater Pond, and Aquaponic seafood culture as sectors of co-equal importance to marine culture.
- Establish regular lines of contact between the NOAA Fisheries offices, Regional Aquaculture Center network, USDA Extension Services, and the USDA Office of Urban Agriculture and Innovative Production.
- Continue to support regulation and oversight of American marine aquaculture to ensure the long-term safety and viability of our natural waters.
Please see the full statement for more details.
This Statement was prepared by Lucien Blakemore and Regina Greuel Cook of Symbiotic Aquaponic, an Affiliate Member of the Aquaponics Association.
Brian Filipowich, Chairman
Regina Greuel Cook, Vice President
Do you want to support Aquaponics?
The Aquaponics Association is a nonprofit that cultivates aquaponics through education, advocacy, and connection. Please consider a General Membership to support this cause.
Benefits of Membership include:
- Regular newsletters
- Access to Aquaponics Association Members Forum with chat groups and direct messages
- Ability to participate in working groups to move aquaponics forward: 1) Commercial Aquaponics; 2) Community Aquaponics; 3) Aquaponics in STEM Education; and 4) Aquaponics Research
- Exclusive web content like checklists, best practices, conference presentations and full conference videos from top experts
- Legislative & Regulatory Updates
- Special Member Discounts
Membership fees also support:
- Development and promotion of materials to educate the public about the benefits and opportunities of aquaponics!
- Development of industry standards and best practices
- Infrastructure to connect aquaponic growers from around the world
- Strategic partnerships to expand aquaponics into new fields
- Ability to speak with one voice to policy-makers and regulators on issues like Organic certification, food safety certification, and agriculture policy
- Resources to improve aquaponic growers’ skills, growing capacity, and business opportunities
- Resources to cultivate and develop aquaponics as an emerging green industry
Learn more: General Membership